Update your gps | All brands and all vehicles
Essential today, GPS (Global Positioning System) allows you to find your bearings quickly and easily under any circumstances. Over the years, this device has evolved to become a connected object . It is also suitable for use by car, motorcycle, hike or camper. If you want smooth navigation at any time, it’s important to have an updated GPS system and update your map regularly . Check out how this device works and update the GPS .
GPS, general presentation
Understanding the GPS system
Being equipped with a GPS system allows you to be located anywhere in the world. It can be an external device, a connected watch or an application on your smartphone. The GPS works thanks to the 30 satellites in orbit around the Earth which send signals received by the GPS chip. This constellation of satellites covers the entire globe. From the received signals, your device is then able to calculate your precise position.
It should be noted that GPS is an American system, open to the public, but which remains nevertheless a State property. To overcome this dependence, other systems have been developed. This is particularly the case for GLONASS, deployed in Russia. The European GALILEO project, for its part, should be implemented in 2019.
The different types of GPS
To travel with peace of mind, GPS navigation is available from many terminals. Thus, each user can choose a GPS adapted to his habits, his budget and his specific needs
- The mobile GPS
The first GPS devices on the market are the famous external boxes. The latter are nomads and accompany you on all your travels. A real revolution, this device replaces the traditional road maps. It turns out to be a shock assistant for all your travels. GPS now includes a multitude of alerts to help you better control your driving and anticipate traffic.
- The integrated or embedded GPS system
All car manufacturers now offer a GPS option. The driver can have permanent access to a GPS system integrated into the passenger compartment. If this solution allows you to enjoy quality equipment that is always operational and accessible, it should be noted that the price is higher than the mobile GPS. Especially since the necessary card updates are not always included in the purchase price!
- Smartphone applications
In recent years, GPS navigation has become accessible directly from the smartphone. There are a multitude of applications, the best known of which are Waze and Google Maps. Very reactive, fluid and above all free, these applications allow you to know the traffic in real time. They consider the different traffic hazards when choosing the route. To enjoy the cards even without a connection, they generally offer an offline mode.
The connected watch
In full expansion, the connected watch incorporates a GPS system, particularly popular with sportsmen. By bike, running or hiking, it provides valuable information. You can know the distance to be run, the path covered, the drop or the speed.
GPS, the different options
GPS does not only provide road maps. Today, it offers a plethora of options designed to make your daily journeys easier:
- Real-time traffic information: you can avoid traffic jams and be advised to take an alternative route in case of an accident.
- Vigilance alerts: This option allows you to be informed about speed limits, danger zones or disruptive events (e. g. vehicles travelling in the wrong direction)
- The integrated camera: It allows you to constantly film your driving and is an essential aid in the event of an accident.
- Places of interest: Depending on your location or destination, this system can offer you points of interest such as restaurants, car parks or petrol stations.
- Voice-activated navigation: To stay focused on the road, some GPS units can be controlled by your voice. For example, you can enter an address orally without having to manipulate the keyboard.
- Integrated Wi-Fi: The latest generation GPS device with integrated Wi-Fi allows a very simple and fast GPS update of the maps.
Regularly update the GPS navigation system
GPS update: why?
The GPS system is a very useful tool in everyday life, provided it is up to date! Indeed, the GPS update allows you to integrate the latest features and maps. It is also an opportunity to add major changes in limitations or new radars. The road network is constantly evolving and to ensure smooth navigation, it is essential to be able to update your GPS mapping.
How to perform the GPS update?
Updating your GPS system depends on the device you are using. Depending on the brand (Garmin, Tomtom, Lowrance…etc) and model, performing updates will not be done in the same way.
- Update a mobile GPS: Depending on the brand and model you choose, you can access free updates. This is very important to check when you buy because the new cards can quickly represent a significant budget. The new maps can be integrated by connecting the GPS to the computer or by connecting the device to Wi-Fi, when the device has the option.
- Updating an embedded GPS: GPS updating is often more expensive when it comes to manufacturers’ integrated GPS. Some offer this feature for free, but for the most part, the investment remains high. Software to update the mapping is available on each company’s website. When you purchase your vehicle, do not hesitate to negotiate to take advantage of the updates offered.
- Updating Smartphone applications: Updating the road network of your phone’s GPS applications is very simple and usually involves no cost. In fact, simply update the application via your store to take advantage of the new maps.
GPS Update, a precious help for all your manipulations
Updating your GPS can quickly become a puzzle when you don’t have the right information. GPS Update supports you in the steps required. Our site offers comprehensive guides for updating GPS systems of all brands. Discover sections entirely dedicated to updating GPS mapping and save time! To facilitate this step and to allow you to quickly find the appropriate manual, we offer updates classified by brand, vehicle or model. You will also find a section dedicated to the latest innovations: connected watches, smartphone applications…
report this ad
Update GPS for free – GPS Update
Free GPS update | How to update your GPS for free?
Over time, you will find that your navigation system is no longer as efficient as it was at the beginning. Address not found, one-way traffic incorrectly indicated or obsolete limitations: your GPS is no longer up to date. While some models offer a free lifetime update, many other navigation assistants require a significant amount of money to update it. GPS Update gives you its best tips for downloading the new maps for free.
GPS update: what frequency for a navigation system?
Importance of the update
Nowadays, GPS no longer simply provides you with a fixed and static map of the road network. They incorporate a multitude of important criteria to ensure a successful trip: speed limits, points of interest, dangers… This tool quickly loses its value if you do not have the latest updated version.
When to update the GPS?
You have understood how important it is to update your navigation assistant. But another question arises: how often should you install the new maps?
The number of updates to be performed per year depends on your personal use. Of course, if you only use your device once a year to go on holiday with your family, a single annual update will be more than enough. On the other hand, if you drive on a daily basis and have to go to unknown addresses on a regular basis, it may be a good idea to update more frequently. Three to four per year will allow you to enjoy the latest maps and get to your destination without any unpleasant surprises.
Special cases for updates or new maps
There are other special circumstances that may prompt you to download a new map or update your GPS. For example, you plan to move abroad or go on a trip to another country. If you only had France mapping planned when you purchased your navigation system, you will need to install a new area. Some events may also cause you to update your device. For example, changing the current speed limits and changing from 90 to 80 km/h on two-way roads is a good reason to update your system. This ensures that you can drive safely.
Update your GPS system for free: how to do it?
Updating a navigation system is often not free of charge. In most cases, you must purchase the update or take out an annual subscription. However, when you have already invested in a GPS that costs a certain price, it is not always easy to systematically put your hand back in your pocket. Fortunately, there are alternatives to update your mobile GPS for free.
OpenSource maps: free update on TomTom and Garmin
To update your GPS for free, the OpenStreetMap project allows you to download maps and transfer them to your system without any cost. This Open Source software is actually a database of free maps, updated by volunteer contributors. The downloaded maps are compatible with different navigation systems. The proposed formats can be installed directly on your Garmin GPS, for example. For your TomTom assistant , there is the possibility to convert OpenStreetMap files to play them on your GPS. However, the process is longer since it requires the installation of a plug-in. In the next two paragraphs, discover the steps that must be followed to do this.
Steps for a Garmin GPS
If you have a Garmin brand GPS, good news: you can avoid the paid updates offered by their official website. The OpenStreetMap project gives you free access to all the maps you want. In addition, it should be noted that installation is quick and easy. It does not require any specific computer prerequisites. However, you should check before you start that your internal memory is sufficient or add a larger card if necessary.
- You must go to http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl to get started;
- Choose the version “Routable Générique” for your car or “OpenFietsMaps” for hiking and mountain biking;
- Select the map you wish to download. You can choose a complete country or a delimited area. In the second case, the preparation of the mapping can take several hours;
- You must make sure to download the . zip version. Unzip the file using WinZip software and install it on your GPS hard disk;
- Then, you just have to activate the map on your assistant by going to the settings.
How to proceed on TomTom?
You can also take advantage of the free OpenStreetMap maps on your TomTom navigation assistant. However, the downloaded maps will not be directly usable. You must first install software on your GPS, which will serve as a reader for these specific maps. This plug-in can be downloaded free of charge by following this link http://ttmaps.free.fr/install.html and installing it on your system’s SD card. You will then need to install the OSM cards following the same procedure as for Garmin. However, it will be necessary to place the maps in the “Maps” sub-folder.
Economical alternative: free applications
In recent years, free applications have become more widespread and allow you to follow a route easily and quickly from your smartphone. In addition, these applications take into account real-time traffic and alert you to possible dangers and accidents on your way. The advantage of using Waze, GoogleMaps or Maps is on the one hand, free of charge, and on the other hand, automatic updates. Indeed, as soon as you use your application in connection mode, you will benefit from an updated version.
Some GPS applications even offer free downloads of maps for offline use. Generally, you have access to a defined number of free maps and you have the option of paying an additional fee if you want to download more. This alternative is often much more economical than purchasing an update via an integrated or mobile GPS. However, it is necessary to have a smartphone and a way to recharge it in your car since this type of application consumes a lot of battery power.
Gps Update, find out how to update all your GPS systems
Discover on GPS Update complete guides for updating your GPS systems. In our menu, you can browse our manuals per make or car model. We also regularly offer articles to keep you up to date on all the developments and innovations in the world of navigation aids.
report this ad
Surely, many users of GPS navigators have a lot of questions about updating them, especially this information is important during the holidays. The Glonass satellite system allows a navigation error of up to 10 meters, but only with timely updates.
Each navigation device has three main components – the device itself, or “hardware”, the GPS program and GPS mapping. The navigator itself usually does not need to be updated – only if a defect is noticed during the use of the device, and the manufacturer does not release firmware to fix it.
You will need to install a new version of the program if updated GPS maps have been released that do not fit the current version. In this case, you should definitely find out if your hardware has the ability to install an updated version of the program – it may happen that your navigator is so technically outdated that it will not be possible to install an updated program on it or it will not work correctly.
As for GPS-maps, they often need to be updated – as soon as a new version is released, on average 3-4 times a year. By downloading the new version, you guarantee yourself maximum comfort and complete safety of movement. A navigator with the latest version of the GPS map will know about the new streets and highways in cities, new prohibitions, and will provide you with the most accurate and correct navigation.
To always be aware of the release of a new version of the map, you can register on the developer’s resource and know about all the news. Unfortunately, not all development companies provide such an opportunity, and not every manufacturer of navigation equipment provides support for updates. Perhaps there is a service center in the city that installs such updates – you can subscribe to their mailing list. In any case, without updating the GPS map in your navigator for more than 12 months, you should not count on correct navigation. The older the cards are used in the device, the more errors and inaccuracies it gives out. It is for this reason that when planning to go on vacation by car, try to find out if new cards have been issued and if the program has been updated.
Many users of GPS navigators are wondering if it is possible to update the navigator on their own? In principle, it is possible if you know about all the possible pitfalls and features of this process.
First, you need a license key (for programs with the WinCE operating system, which most navigators run on). Go to the website of the equipment manufacturer, find your modification there and download the update. Read the instructions for updating and following the instructions exactly, update the map or the program itself. During the update process, you will need to enter a license key, to check it you will need to connect to the Internet.
There are car GPS navigators running on the Android platform. In this case, you must connect to Wi-Fi and sign in to Google Play to install updates. In the list of programs, find the name of your navigation program and check for updates. Having confidence that you can handle the installation yourself, you can click on the update button. Remember that when you start the downloaded program, you will need to enter a key if the program is paid.
In the same way, updates are made for devices based on iPad, iPhone, IOS, with the only difference being that programs are found on the App Store resource.
There are also operating systems that are inaccessible to consumers – these are almost all regular car systems, as well as TomTom, etc. In this case, self-installation can lead to their damage and complete failure of the navigator, which will be impossible to restore. To install updates, it is better to contact the service center, while specifying the availability of a guarantee for work. Only some of the latest expensive top-end navigators from the TomTom manufacturer allow you to update them yourself without risking damage. These models usually have a lifetime warranty for updating the GPS map.
Often, users have a question about the differences between a car GPS navigator and a laptop, smartphone or tablet with this option. The main difference between a car navigator is its wide functionality. All the main functions of the device are aimed solely at providing high-quality navigation – this is a large screen, and the volume of the speaker, and the appearance of the device, but the battery capacity is usually secondary, therefore small. In tablets and other devices, the GPS option is not the main one, which means that there may be problems with its operation.
If you feel the need for a reliable and convenient device and do not travel on foot, then it is better to buy a portable car GPS navigator. You need additional functionality of the device or it is possible to operate the device outside the car – then choose a gadget with this option.
The ETR Yug company offers updates to gps navigators in Krasnodar, and you can also buy a fuel consumption monitoring system from us at a bargain price.
How to install and update maps in your GPS navigator: step by step guide
It is difficult for a modern motorist to do without a navigator. It is thanks to the maps on these devices that vehicle owners easily navigate the roads and do not risk losing their course. However, in order for the device to provide only up-to-date information, it is desirable to update its software periodically. And although at first the task looks difficult, in practice anyone can cope with it. And we will tell you how to update the map on the GPS-navigator quickly and without problems.
Why you need to update the maps in the navigator
Improved versions of GPS maps appear on average once every 6 months. Both experienced cartographers and experienced webmasters take part in their creation.
Each updated map differs from the previous one in an extended coverage area. This territory includes houses that have been built in recent months, new interchanges and roads. In addition, in the modified maps, those inaccuracies that were found in previous versions were corrected. And although certain errors may continue to occur, the effectiveness of the GPS-navigator with each new version increases significantly.
By the way, users of some autonavigators can personally participate in improving the operation of these devices. For example, Garmin devices allow you to send a section of the map where an inaccuracy was made to the developer for further correction.
What is needed to update the navigator
Almost all popular auto navigation systems provide the ability to quickly and free of charge update maps on auto navigators. Therefore, you can easily handle updating GPS maps on your own.
What do you need for this?
- Computer or laptop with network connection.
- Navigator directly. Make sure it’s loaded.
- USB cable for connecting the device to a computer. As a rule, this cord comes with the device itself.
Also be prepared for the fact that it will take you time to complete all the necessary actions. The matter is that cards, as a rule, “weigh” a lot. If your Internet connection is not very fast, then get ready to wait.
Read also: How the navigator works: an overview of 2 satellite systems
How to install, update Navitel maps
These navigation maps have long been considered one of the best. Navitel prepares updates for release on average once every six months and allows you to install them for free. There are two ways to perform the installation – through a computer and through the menu of the corresponding program. You just have to choose the most suitable and convenient option for you.
1. Use of the software.
How to update the Navitel GPS navigator through the application menu? To do this, you must first check the availability of an Internet connection. Since the maps “weigh” a lot, it is advisable to download them using Wi-Fi.
On your navigation device, open the Navitel Navigator program and find the “Updates” section in its menu. Now click on the Update All button. You will see a window with a detailed description of all available cards. By pressing the “Update” button, you give your consent to their download. No further action is required from you.
2. Update on the computer.
Before starting to download maps, you should first update the Navitel Navigator application along with the activation file.
After that, proceed as follows:
- Open the official Navitel website and enter your Personal Account.
- In the section called “My Devices” you will see a list of updates available under your license. Of course, this is only if the navigator is already in the list of devices in your personal account. If not, take some time to add it.
- Select from the entire list of maps those that correspond to the version of Navitel Navigator that is installed on your device.
- On the right side of the name of each of the maps presented in the list, there is a “Download” button. Now you should click on it.
- The file you are downloading will have the extension . nm7. Install it on your personal computer.
- Now that the desired improvement has already been downloaded, it remains to install it on the autonavigator. Connect the navigation device to a personal computer or laptop. This can be done either with a USB cable or using a memory card.
- Open the folder containing the maps on the device and delete the old files. Instead, move the new versions of the maps that were uploaded the day before to the folder. No matter how much you would like to leave both old and new files on the device, you should not do this. The fact is that different versions may be incompatible with each other, which will eventually disrupt the normal operation of the navigator. Therefore, deleting old cards is a necessary step.
- After saving the downloaded files to the folder designated for them, disconnect the autonavigator from the computer.
- Turn on the device and open Navitel Navigator on it. The terrain update will now complete automatically.
Earlier we wrote about How to choose a GPS navigator for your car
How to download and update maps in your Garmin navigator whose accuracy cannot be doubted. It is thanks to their improved versions that your autonavigator will navigate the streets well and calculate the most accurate and convenient routes on the way to the intended goal.
When it’s time to update your Garmin navigation data, there’s an app called Garmin Express to help you. It exists in two versions – for Windows and for Apple computers. In other words, users of both popular operating systems will be able to use convenient maps.
So how do you update your Garmin GPS? The installation itself takes place in stages. And you have to act as follows:
1. Open the computer and go to the Garmin 9 website0074
2. Next, you will see an offer to download the program for either Windows or Mac. Choose the option that suits you specifically.
3. Download the file and install it on your computer or laptop according to the instructions. The program is installed in the usual way.
4. Once Garmin Express has been completely installed, launch it. Let it remain open on your computer’s desktop.
5. In the meantime, take your GPS navigator and connect it to your PC. Use a standard USB cable for this purpose.
6. On the computer screen immediately after you have connected the autonavigator, a window will appear with a message about the discovery of a new device. Click on the “Add device” button.
7. Now return to the Garmin Express app. It also displays the newly added device. In order to add it to the program, follow the instructions offered by the application itself.
8. If all previous steps were successful, Garmin Express will immediately start searching for existing updates. We are talking about updating the software for the autonavigator, tech and searching for improved versions of maps.
9. Pretty soon there will be a wide range of different upgrades available. If you think all of them are necessary and useful, then just click on the “Install all” button. After that, all available improvements will be installed on your device. But if you are not sure that you need an update, then click on “Details”. This will allow you to read about what exactly this or that update carries in itself, and then decide whether you need to install it.
10. Selected updates will be downloaded and installed by Garmin Express on your device.
Please note that maps and updates to them tend to weigh a lot. And this means that the process of downloading and installing them will take a lot of time. Especially if the Internet connection is not very good and the download speed is slow. Therefore, be patient in advance and prepare to wait.
It will be useful to know: How to choose a GPS navigator – 8 main criteria
Installing and updating CityGuide 9 software0035
Today there are also quite a few users of CityGuide navigation service. If you are also one of them, then when installing updates for maps, proceed as follows:
- First of all, you need to go to the website of the official website of the navigation system. And from there to your “Personal Account”.
- Open the column called “All Licenses”, where you will see a long list of different licenses. Find yours on this list.
- Your next step should be to install an updated version of the application. To do this, you need the Refresh button. Remember that you will not be able to return to the old version.
- After you have chosen to update the program, the site will ask you to log out and then log in again, re-entering your password and login. Follow these steps, and then the list of available maps will already show the updates that are relevant to you. Select the one you want and click the “Download” button.
- Download the file to your PC.
- Like updates for the program, improved maps are also presented in your Personal Account in the category with the corresponding name. You can choose and download any of them at any time. Remember that the list of available options will directly depend on your license.
- If your car navigator does not have Internet access, like, for example, the GARMIN Drive 50 Navlux, then it makes sense to download the traffic situation as well.
- Move all downloaded files to a folder created in advance on the PC. Name it CGMaps.
- The next step is to extract the previously downloaded file with the program from the archive. As a result of this, you will have two daddies in front of you – INET and NOINET. The first will be needed if your navigator can access the Internet. The second – if he does not know how.
- Connect your GPS device to PC. This can be done using a USB cable if you plan to save information to its built-in storage. If it must be stored on the device’s memory card, then remove the card from the device and place it in the card reader.
- Open the contents of the device on the computer and drop the CityGuide folder extracted from either INET or NOINET into it.
- Next, inside the CityGuide folder, place CGMaps.
- After that, you can turn off the navigation device and run the appropriate program on it.
- Put the navigator in an open area so that it can successfully set up the COM port and find its location. Often this process takes up to an hour, so please be patient.
We also recommend reading: TOP 3 best car GPS navigators in 2017.
How to install, update Yandex software. Navigator
Software Yandex. Navigator can also be quickly and easily updated with your own hands. What should be done for this? In fact, everything is extremely simple. You just need to keep the sequence of certain actions.
1. To download a map, open the toolbar. To do this, just touch the bottom of the screen of your navigator.
2. In the Menu that opens, go to the settings and open the “Download maps” section.
3. The next step is to find the required city. This can be done in two ways. The first option is to simply find it in the provided list, which is not so difficult, because all the cities in the list are arranged in alphabetical order. The second way is to start typing the name of the city in the search box and then only select it in the suggestions provided.
4. After that, you will see information about the amount of free memory on the device, which is necessary for successful loading of the map. And if it is enough, then you can confidently start downloading. If there is not enough memory, then if necessary, you can put the information not on the device, but on the memory card.
If desired, set up auto-update as well. You can also do this in the Map Update section. To no longer have to manually download maps, start the “Automatic” function. Please note that navigation files are much easier to download over Wi-Fi, since mobile Internet resources are often not enough. To prevent the download from starting at the wrong time, select the Wi-Fi Only option. This will avoid unpleasant surprises.
Sometimes it is also necessary to remove one card or another. It is also extremely easy to do this. It is enough to go to the Settings section through the Menu and go to the “Download and delete” category. This is where downloaded maps are stored. Mark the ones you need and press the “Delete” button. Immediately after that, a window will open asking you to confirm the action. Press the delete key again. That’s all. Maps that have lost their relevance for you will be permanently erased from the device’s memory.
We advise you to read: What are the problems with navigators? 11 kinds of faults
Installing and updating IGO
The iGO navigation system is on the list of the most noteworthy. Its new versions are distinguished by three-dimensional pictures, where you can see the terrain, three-dimensional images of various objects and more. It is possible to rotate the image on the navigator screen by 360 degrees in order to orientate on the terrain as accurately as possible.
If you have purchased the iGO software for your portable navigator, you will need to update the maps periodically on the NNG website. What should be the sequence of steps?
- Go to the NNG website and register on it.
- Download and install an application called Naviextras Toolbox on your PC from the above website. This app will keep track of updates. With it, you will download them.
- Then connect your car navigator to your computer using the USB cable. Make sure Naviextras Toolbox has found it in the list of devices it supports updating.
- Log in with your username and password. The Toolbox will then automatically recognize the device and register it with your user profile.
- Now it’s time to take a look at available updates and additional maps. They are presented directly in the Naviextras Toolbox. In order to see them, you should click on the “Catalog” button in the menu item.
- Available updates can be filtered based on geographic area or data type. Each option has its price listed next to it. Many updates are available for free, in which case the “free” icon will be displayed instead of the price.
- After you have selected the desired update, it will be queued for installation. Before pressing the “Install” button to install new versions, it is better to back up your data. This will eliminate unwanted complications in the event that the installation does not go as originally planned. It usually takes varying amounts of time to create a backup. And it depends on the capabilities of the USB port, as well as the device itself. Therefore, be prepared for the process to be delayed.
- After the backup has already been created, Naviextras Toolbox will start downloading and installing the necessary updates. The progress of the process will be visible on the basis of two indication scales. The top one will show the general status of the work in progress, and the bottom one will allow you to get acquainted with the process of downloading a particular file.